Tuesday, July 6, 2010

a family visit & the three week mark

so there are days when all my fussy baby wants to do is be on me... preferably attached to certain milk-producing parts, but she'll accept my lap or shoulder, too (as long as there's milk involved at some point, right, woman?!). it might be easy to get annoyed - have you tried getting anything done while holding a baby all afternoon?? and all the moms said amen - but I figure the time will come too soon when she'll want to be running away from me to explore, so I've decided to try to embrace being in demand like this. here's my sacked out baby in my lap while I attempted to organize my desk:



I'm even typing this blog one-handed because she's sleeping in the other. talent, people.

and I'll include this photo because I'm wearing the shirt I bought in Seattle... I finally fit into it! sorta! a red-letter day, we were both feeling pretty good...




my family came into town for the fourth of July... here's Mo with Magz, who loves to be held by her cousin:



and Mo at the t-afia farmer's market:



family photo in front of the Houston Dairymaids... best cheese ever!



sweet Aunt Linda:



Magz meeting YaYa:



fourth of July pensive iphone shot:



breakfast @ Buffalo Grill before everyone heads home:



a peaceful moment:



delicious dinner hubz grilled us last night:


and our three-week old baby this morning:







write softly's latest blog inspired this listing of some things I've thought since this child was born:

what's that in her poo??
oh good, she's normal.
will my boobs ever be the same?
I love how excited she gets when she gets ready to nurse, and I love being the person who can immediately quiet her.
I'm so tired. please just go to sleep, baby, there's nothing wrong with you!
I'm sorry for getting frustrated with you - I know you can't help it.
How nice will it be when she can interact & respond more...
She's going to grow too fast, boo-hoo...
*horrible mental images of things happening to her*
I love her so much. boo-hoo.
will going to do this gig/using a pacifier & bottle/forgetting to burp her/taking her to church/etc. ruin her?
are we already behind?? should we be reading more/playing/etc.?? am I throwing away valuable teaching/bonding time by iphoning while nursing at night??
we will not succumb to pressure to compare ourselves to others! we will relax and get a grip!! and eat fewer cookies, which are undoubtedly not helping.
some favorite words of other moms right now: 'build a wall of confidence' - BMcD... 'you're a parent, not a saint' - write softly
holy crap, I'm a parent. boo-hoo.
going to work is weirdly lonely... I got more used to feeling her move & kick when I did voice work than I thought.
I didn't get anything done today. well, nothing really done THAT YOU CAN SEE WITH YOUR EYES, but I mothered the pants off this little baby and that totally counts.
God, please protect this little person and help us raise her well.

and now I will transfer this deeply sleeping babe to her crib, change out of my Depeche Mode shirt with spit up on the sleeve, and hope to quickly assemble dinner for my sweet husband. because in learning to be a good mom, I don't want to totally forget how to be a good wife.

-m.y.

6 comments:

JENNY said...

Maggie is ADORABLE! I just love her so.

I still have those awful images of something happening to Jude. Ugh.

The sleep thing will get better with time. I promise! I felt the same way just a few months ago....

blueskies said...

Maggie is getting so big!! I can hardly believe it. By the way, can you send your hubby on over to cook for me? Seriously, you are lucky.

K Cummings Pipes said...

Smiles, gurgles, bubbles... how sweet?

Whitney said...

Love your honesty and sweetness! Her little arms are looking chubby and I love love it!

Melanie said...

#1 You look awesome
#2 Your recovered chair looks awesome!
#3 (most importantly) your baby is adorable and makes some awesome expressions. :)

Anonymous said...

Am I doing this right?
Are you getting enough to eat?
No arms in the way, baby.
I love you.
I love you.
I love you.